Panorama of the Lower grounds of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.
Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra (Kyivan Cave Monastery) was founded in 1051 by monks Antoniy and Feodosiy. A cave is "pechera" in Ukrainian, hence the name of the monastery. Monks worshipped and lived in the caves of the monastery which became a site of pilgrimage for Orthodox Christians throughout Europe. In the 11th century, it became the center of the development and consolidation of Christianity in Kyivan Rus'.
To learn more about the heart of Ukrainian and Eastern-Slavic Christianity, visit Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra : Guided Tour.
Return to Ukraine Orthodox Churches Page