Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. The Far Caves.
The Far Caves were first mentioned in the Tale of Bygone Years for the year 1051. They are also known as the caves of Theodosius, in honor of the saint. They measure 280 m in length and are 5-20 m deep. In 1826, the floor was covered with cast-iron tiles. They contain 45 burial niches and three churches: Nativity of the Holy Mother of God, St. Theodosius', both of which have 18th century iconostasis, and the Annunciation Church, which has a wooden iconostasis built in this century.
Return to Ukraine Orthodox Churches Page